Saturday, December 21, 2013

20 Cool Abandoned Places in the World - Imgur


 Photo: Imgur. The Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea. Started in the late 80s, it now has a plated glass exterior and looks finished from the outside, but apparently work has pretty much halted. Not sure it's been "abandoned"...maybe just frozen in time?

While I'm writing over the holidays, I'll try and post some interesting tidbits from elsewhere.  Thanks to StuStoryteller for bringing this site to my attention.

From Imgur.com: an album of 20 photos of abandoned places all over the world.  I have always been fascinated by abandoned/decaying structures.  The majority of places like these that I've explored  have been posted with "No Trespassing" signs, and so if you want to play intrepid adventurer then you usually have to break the law. There is also an inherent risk of injury, since buildings can be unsafe structurally, be inhabited by crack dealers or criminals, full of vermin like rats and snakes, or littered with rusting wire, broken glass, etc. Having said all of that, there's no feeling quite like entering a place like an amusement park, a station, a hospital that's now empty of life but had been left just as it was.  It's sad and creepy and exciting and...

....well, you get the idea.

These images would provide some great stories.  Who lived here? Worked here?  Where did everyone go? 

Think. Dream. Enjoy.


20 Cool Abandoned Places in the World - Imgur

15 comments:

  1. That is one of the most unusual structures I have ever seen. Will go explore the link.
    Merry Christmas, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those places were amazing. The hotel in Columbia would be an awesome setting for a ghost story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly would! The one in Japan with a giant Gulliver statue is very creepy too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Li. I'm fascinated by these abandoned places too. I have quite often broken the law to have a sticky beak. In Spain at the moment and notice many abandoned new buildings which must have been under construction when the GFC hit. A beautiful country still...

    Happy Holidays, LI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying your trip! There are far worse things to be arrested for than trespassing, although I'd still rather not have my name in the local newspaper's police log :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Li .. I love the thought of these - and it would be so interesting to find out more. I'm not sure about the North Korean one - that would make me very upset, I think ... but incredible what is left half-finished ..

    So pleased the song Turn! Turn! Turn! resonated with you ...

    Cheers and have a happy festive season .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might look up 1 or 2 when I have some slack time after the holidays. Happy new year to you!

      Delete
  6. Too cool Li!!! I love the adventure of peaking into the ruins of abandoned places. To feel the stories that pop in my head of what the place was and who was there. I live in the County where gold was discovered back in 1849 and started the huge gold rush to California. There is so much history and abandoned places. Oh and the cemeteries are awesome to visit too. Hope you are having a great holiday season my friend and thank you for all your support and friendship. You are cherished in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to explore some of those old mining towns! Happy holidays, hope things are going OK for you now. You are a wonderful friend, and in my thoughts :-)

      Delete
  7. Very strange -- looks like a good setting for an SF tale. Did you catch that story on 60 Minutes a while back about the neighborhoods full of new homes in China that sit vacant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, and it reminded me of the height of our foreclosure crisis in the US when hundreds (maybe thousands) of brand new spec homes sat unsold or abandoned in areas of Las Vegas, California, and Florida.

      Delete
  8. That is a very interesting looking building. Very sci-fi, which I love. I'll have to snag that for my imagination file. Happy 2014 to you, Li! Hope you hit the bestsellers lists :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful pictures, though the one with the North Korean hotel is a "photoshop". The building is real enough but it has been inserted into the desolate landscape seen in the picture. Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info Daniel.

    ReplyDelete